Tuesday, July 05, 2005

the old and the new!

I guess this was a matter of time. Got a couple of watch related things done over this week. First of, I serviced my Classic Tag Heuer 3000 series at the Hour Glass. What should have been a simple $20 battery replacement tuned out to be a $180 repair. Apparently, the Tag had a faulty "electrical coil" which needed replacement. Oh well, considering a new tag costs almost $1000 and you can't get another 3000 series, it's a price I had to pay to keep it ticking.

On a slightly cheaper note, my Casio that followed me thru my NS days finally gave up on me. Even when I went on my holidays, I will always wear my Casio (who would want to steal a Casio???) out and in the nite, I could always depend on my the illuminator to brighten up my face. The watch pretty much lost alot of the "protection" via the rubber casing around the watch itself. As you can see, the watch is in it's naked state with the band strap also dying on me hence the rubber-band. Rugged!!! I paid about S$56 for it at Bugis Junction back in the late 90s . Things started going downhill when the LCD display started fading away. After another 1 year, the display was not really working and reading it was getting difficult. I did bring it to a local watch retailer to seek their "professional" opinion and they said repairing it was not worth the $ since getting a new one would be only cost slightly more. Having said that, I decided to get meself the replacement.

The replacement had to be another "do-it-all" watch and the hunt was on. Looked at the current offerings of G-shocks and the majority was more fashion bias. There were some rugged ones but the design and the price was not in my "willing to pay" zone. I was on the lookout for a G-shock that had illuminator, buttons that are of the plastic sortand had to be priced between $50 - $100. After about 1 month of window shopping, I finally chanced upon the classic. Here's it it. This is the a revamp of the first G-shock that was made (the DW-5600). This version features the blue light illuminator minus the Dual-Time feature that was on the Original. Price for this, $75. I'm a happy man!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home